Mobile Communications MSc/Diploma/Certificate
- Delivery: Full Time, Part Time
- Programme type: Taught Programme
- Study location: Edinburgh
- Entry date: September
This is an advanced MSc course in the rapidly expanding area of mobile communications and networks. This course is concerned with the concepts, applications, design, development and deployment of mobile communication systems and networks. Students will develop a detailed knowledge and critical understanding of the core skills in mobile communications and networks and use a significant range of principal and specialist skills, techniques and practices in the domain of mobile communications and networks. The course will provide a stream of graduates of a calibre capable of developing and implementing creative solutions to the problems encountered in mobile communication systems and networks.
This is a hardware-oriented course and is aimed directly at electrical engineering graduates.
- One year (MSc),
- 9 months (Diploma),
- 6 months (Certificate).
Core subject areas
- Digital Signal Processing
- Digital Design
- Networks and Communications
- Research Methods Critical Analysis and Project Planning
- Principles of Mobile Communications
- RF Mobile Communication Systems
- Project Phase 1
- MSc Project
Optional Subject Areas
- Software Engineering 2
- Network Applications
Preferably, but not exclusively, a First or Second Class Honours Degree in a suitable numerate Science or Engineering subject. Recognised overseas equivalents will apply.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme:
- 2 semesters English (for IELTS of 4.5-5.0);
- 12 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5*-6.0). (*minimum 5.5 reading and writing)
|Scotland / Non-UK EU||£4980||£2690|
* If you are unsure which category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.
Scholarships & bursaries
- Alumni Scholarship Scheme
- Carnegie-Cameron Taught Postgraduate Bursaries
Applicants must be Scottish by birth, have at least one parent born in Scotland or have been continuously resident in Scotland for a period of three years for the purpose of secondary or tertiary education.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
International (Commonwealth citizens)
- Department for International Development (DFID) Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme
- East Lothian Educational Trust
Applicants must be a resident of the old county of East Lothian (ie excluding Musselburgh, Wallyford and Whitecraig.)
- Erasmus Mundus(EPS)
EU and non-EU
- GoEuro Scholarship Programme
Enrolled students in any academic year
- Institute of Engineering and Technology: Diamond Jubilee Scholarships(EPS)
- International Scholarships Programme(EPS)
Non UK/EU applicants
- Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust
Restricted to residents of the UK who are a son, daughter, spouse, widow or widower of a commercial traveller, chemist or grocer.
- Local Education Authority Awards
- Mexican Scholarships
- Music Scholarships
- Panasonic Trust Fellowships(EPS)
Selected courses only
- Part-time Fee Grant (SAAS)
See SAAS residence conditions.
- Postgraduate Student Allowance Scheme (SAAS)
EU and UK applicants who meet the SAAS criteria on eligible courses
- Remission of Fees (families of staff)
Spouses/civil partners and children of members of staff, also retired members of staff of the University
- Royal Caledonian Schools Trust
Applicants must be of Scots parentage (conditions apply - see below)
- SFC Key Skills Funded Places (EPS)(EPS)
Applicants resident in Scotland who accept an offer for an eligible programme
- Schlumberger Scholarships for Women in Engineering(EPS)
Women working on their bachelor's or master's degrees in engineering and science.
- Scotland's Saltire Scholarships
Citizens of Canada, the People's Republic of China, India or USA (2 awards for each country)
- Sports Scholarships
- Staff Scholarships
Employees of Heriot-Watt University
- The Consumer Affairs UK Scholarship Programme
All currently enrolled students
- The Muirhead Trust
Scottish, female applicants for science and engineering courses
- West Lothian Educational Trust
Individuals must have originated in West Lothian or have lived there for the last 3 years.