Climate Change: Impacts and Mitigation MSc/Diploma/Certificate
- Delivery: Full Time, Part Time
- Programme type: Taught Programme
- Study location: Edinburgh
- Entry date: September
Climate change is recognised as having potentially huge impacts on the environment and on society. The study of the causes and impacts of climate change and the measures required to mitigate the impacts and adapt is complex. It is essential that scientists, engineers and environmental decision-makers understand the fundamentals of the causes, impacts and management measures involved in dealing with such important issues.
The MSc programme offers one core course to introduce climate change causes and impacts (Semester 1) and reviews the possible mitigation and adaptation measures in a second (Semester 2). The programme structure allows for three optional and relevant courses each semester from amongst the University's postgraduate syllabus so that a 'tailored' programme can be constructed.
- Climate Change: Causes and Impacts
- Climate Change: Mitigation and Adaptation Measures
- Research Project (MSc only)
For potential optional courses please refer to the course/subject areas available and listed in other School MSc programmes, specifically those of the School of Engineering and Physical Sciences, School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, and School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society. Advice will be given on the most appropriate courses available from the different Schools of the University in topics ranging across scientific, engineering, economics and management courses.
As for all our taught postgraduate programmes.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme:
- 2 semesters English (for IELTS of 4.5-5.0);
- 12 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5*-6.0). (*minimum 5.5 reading and writing)
|Scotland / Non-UK EU||£4980||£2690|
* If you are unsure which category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.
Scholarships & bursaries
- Alumni Scholarship Scheme
- Carnegie-Cameron Taught Postgraduate Bursaries
Applicants must be Scottish by birth, have at least one parent born in Scotland or have been continuously resident in Scotland for a period of three years for the purpose of secondary or tertiary education.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
International (Commonwealth citizens)
- Department for International Development (DFID) Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme
- East Lothian Educational Trust
Applicants must be a resident of the old county of East Lothian (ie excluding Musselburgh, Wallyford and Whitecraig.)
- Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust
Restricted to residents of the UK who are a son, daughter, spouse, widow or widower of a commercial traveller, chemist or grocer.
- Local Education Authority Awards
- Mexican Scholarships
- Music Scholarships
- Part-time Fee Grant (SAAS)
See SAAS residence conditions.
- Postgraduate Student Allowance Scheme (SAAS)
EU and UK applicants who meet the SAAS criteria on eligible courses
- Remission of Fees (families of staff)
Spouses/civil partners and children of members of staff, also retired members of staff of the University
- Royal Caledonian Schools Trust
Applicants must be of Scots parentage (conditions apply - see below)
- SFC Key Skills Funded Places (SLS)(SLS)
Applicants resident in Scotland who accept an offer for an eligible programme
- Scotland's Saltire Scholarships
Citizens of Canada, the People's Republic of China, India or USA (2 awards for each country)
- Sports Scholarships
- Staff Scholarships
Employees of Heriot-Watt University
- The Consumer Affairs UK Scholarship Programme
All currently enrolled students
- The Muirhead Trust
Scottish, female applicants for science and engineering courses
- Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme(SLS)
See Tullow website, specified MSc programmes only, available only to nationals of specified countries.
- West Lothian Educational Trust
Individuals must have originated in West Lothian or have lived there for the last 3 years.