Brewing and Distilling MSc/Diploma
- Delivery: Full Time, Part Time
- Programme type: Taught Programme
- Study location: Edinburgh
- Entry date: September
This programme prepares candidates for entry into the malting, brewing or distilling industries, or to conduct research.
MSc programmes last for one year (September to August inclusive) and include a substantial research project.
The Diploma covers the same classes as the MSc and includes a short project but lasts for just 9 months (September to May inclusive). Students admitted to the Diploma programme and who perform well in the taught courses may be invited to transfer to the appropriate MSc programme.
The Postgraduate Diploma/MSc programme is accredited by the Institute of Brewing & Distilling.
- Alcohol Beverage Technology
- Cereals, Malting and Mashing
- Wort Boiling, Fermentation and Beer Maturation
- Distilled Spirit Production and Maturation
- Filtration and Packaging of Alcohol Beverages
- Management in the Food and Beverage Industries
- Research Project (MSc only)
For MSc entry, candidates must hold a First or Second Class Honours Degree, or equivalent qualification from a British or overseas university, in a science or engineering subject (for example, Biological Sciences, Chemistry or Chemical/Mechanical Engineering).
For Diploma entry, candidates must hold a degree, preferably at Honours level, in an appropriate subject as defined above. Candidates who do not necessarily fulfil the above criteria may wish to apply to the Diploma programme. All such cases are given individual consideration.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme:
- 14 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with no more than one skill at 4.5);
- 10 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with minimum of 5.0 in all skills);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5 with minimum of 5.5 in reading & writing and minimum of 5.0 in speaking & listening)
|Scotland / Non-UK EU||£4980||£2690|
* If you are unsure which category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.
Scholarships & bursaries
- Alumni Scholarship Scheme
- Carnegie-Cameron Taught Postgraduate Bursaries
Applicants must be Scottish by birth, have at least one parent born in Scotland or have been continuously resident in Scotland for a period of three years for the purpose of secondary or tertiary education.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
International (Commonwealth citizens)
- Department for International Development (DFID) Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme
- EPS PG Research James Watt Scholarships(SLS)
All UK/EU applicants
- East Lothian Educational Trust
Applicants must be a resident of the old county of East Lothian (ie excluding Musselburgh, Wallyford and Whitecraig.)
- Fred. Olsen & Co Scholarship in Marine Renewable Energy(SLS)
- Funds For Women Graduates (FFWG) grants
Women studying or researching for a postgraduate or PhD
- Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust
Restricted to residents of the UK who are a son, daughter, spouse, widow or widower of a commercial traveller, chemist or grocer.
- Local Education Authority Awards
- Music Scholarships
- Part-time Fee Grant (SAAS)
See SAAS residence conditions.
- Postgraduate Student Allowance Scheme (SAAS)
EU and UK applicants who meet the SAAS criteria on eligible courses
- Rapid Formations Entrepreneur Scholarship Programme
All students except exchange program students
- Remission of Fees (families of staff)
Spouses/civil partners and children of members of staff, also retired members of staff of the University
- Royal Caledonian Schools Trust
Applicants must be of Scots parentage (conditions apply - see below)
- SFC Key Skills Funded Places (SLS)(SLS)
Applicants resident in Scotland who accept an offer for an eligible programme
- Scotland's Saltire Scholarships
Citizens of Canada, the People's Republic of China, India or USA (2 awards for each country)
- Sports Scholarships
- Staff Scholarships
Employees of Heriot-Watt University
- The Muirhead Trust
Scottish, female applicants for science and engineering courses
- Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme(SLS)
See Tullow website, specified MSc programmes only, available only to nationals of specified countries.
- West Lothian Educational Trust
Individuals must have originated in West Lothian or have lived there for the last 3 years.