Artificial Intelligence MSc/Diploma
- Delivery: Full Time, Part Time
- Programme type: Taught Programme
- Study location: Edinburgh
- Entry date: September
Our MSc in Artificial Intelligence aims to impart the understanding and skills to develop intelligent software applications, such as those involving evolutionary computation and learning.
Students will develop skills in specialist areas with clear applications in industry, including data mining, pattern recognition and machine learning. The MSc project in some cases can be carried out iin collaboration with an outside industrial or academic organisation.
Further details are available here.
This full-time programme starts in September and lasts one year. The programme can also be taken part-time over 2 years or as a 9 month Postgraduate Diploma.
This programme is accredited by the British Computer Society.
Full-time students take 4 courses each semester and must normally take all core courses.
- Biologically Inspired Computation
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Intelligent Robotics
- Research Methods and Project Planning
- Advanced Interaction Design
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Agents
- Computer Games Programming
- Conversational Agents and Spoken Language Processing
- Data Visualisation and Analytics
- Rigorous Methods for Software Engineering
- Software Engineering Foundations
After semester 2, students continue full-time on the MSc project.
Further details are available here
In the third semester (May-August) students undertake a specialist MSc project which is written up as a 15000 word dissertation. This project enables further development and consolidation of skills introduced in the taught courses, applying them to a challenging practical problem in this subject area.
Admission requires a good honours degree that includes a substantial component of computing or IT. Candidates holding less than a good honours degree, or its equivalent, but with compensating qualifications or experience may be admitted to the Postgraduate Diploma programme. Transfer to the MSc will be possible later on if exam and course work are at MSc level.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.0 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme:
- 14 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with no more than one skill at 4.5);
- 10 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with minimum of 5.0 in all skills);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5 with minimum of 5.5 in reading & writing and minimum of 5.0 in speaking & listening)
|Scotland / Non-UK EU||£4980||£2690|
* If you are unsure which category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.