Applied Mathematical Sciences MSc/Diploma
- Delivery: Full Time, Part Time
- Programme type: Taught Programme
- Study location:
- Entry date:
Applied Mathematical Sciences offers a clear and relevant gateway into a successful career in business, education or scientific research. The programme arms students with the essential knowledge required by all professional mathematicians working across many disciplines. You will learn to communicate ideas effectively to peers and others, as well as the importance of research, planning and self-motivation.
Also available part-time over 2 to 3 years.
Students will take a total of 8 courses, 4 in each of the 1st and 2nd Semesters followed by a 3-month Project in the summer. A typical distribution for this programme is as follows:
- Modelling and Tools;
- Dynamical Systems;
- Applied Mathematics (recommended);
- Applied Linear Algebra (recommended).
- Mathematical Ecology;
- Functional Analysis;
- Numerical Analysis of ODEs;
- Pure Mathematics;
- Statistical Methods;
- Stochastic Simulation;
- Software Engineering Foundations;
- Mathematical Biology and Medicine;
- Partial Differential Equations;
- Numerical Analysis;
Typical project subjects:
- Pattern Formation of Whole Ecosystems;
- Climate Change Impact;
- Modelling Invasive Tumour Growth;
- Simulation of Granular Flow and Growing Sandpiles;
- Finite Element Discretisation of ODEs and PDEs;
- Domain Decomposition;
- Mathematical Modelling of Crime;
- The Geometry of Point Particles;
- Can we Trust Eigenvalues on a Computer?
More detailed information is available at: http://www.ma.hw.ac.uk/maths/courseinfo/index_msc.php
Preferably, but not exclusively a First or Second Class Honours degree in a suitable numerate science or engineering subject.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme:
- 2 semesters English (for IELTS of 4.5-5.0);
- 12 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5*-6.0). (*minimum 5.5 reading and writing)
|Scotland / Non-UK EU||£4980||£2690|
* If you are unsure which category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.
Scholarships & bursaries
Alumni Scholarship Scheme
Carnegie-Cameron Taught Postgraduate Bursaries
Applicants must be Scottish by birth, have at least one parent born in Scotland or have been continuously resident in Scotland for a period of three years for the purpose of secondary or tertiary education.
Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
International (Commonwealth citizens)
Department for International Development (DFID) Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme
East Lothian Educational Trust
Applicants must be a resident of the old county of East Lothian (ie excluding Musselburgh, Wallyford and Whitecraig.)
Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship
Scholarship for female Bachelor?s, Master?s and PhD students studying Computer Science or a closely related technical field
- Google Europe Scholarship for Students with Disabilities (MACS)
Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust
Restricted to residents of the UK who are a son, daughter, spouse, widow or widower of a commercial traveller, chemist or grocer.
Local Education Authority Awards
- MACS Alumni Scholarship (MACS)
- MACS Early Bird Scholarship (MACS)
MACS Postgraduate Scholarships
Part-time Fee Grant (SAAS)
See SAAS residence conditions.
Postgraduate Student Allowance Scheme (SAAS)
EU and UK applicants who meet the SAAS criteria on eligible courses
Remission of Fees (families of staff)
Spouses/civil partners and children of members of staff, also retired members of staff of the University
Royal Caledonian Schools Trust
Applicants must be of Scots parentage (conditions apply - see below)
Scotland's Saltire Scholarships
Citizens of Canada, the People's Republic of China, India or USA (2 awards for each country)
Employees of Heriot-Watt University
The Consumer Affairs UK Scholarship Programme
All currently enrolled students
West Lothian Educational Trust
Individuals must have originated in West Lothian or have lived there for the last 3 years.