Information Technology (Graduate Diploma) Diploma
- Delivery: Full Time
- Programme type: Taught Programme
- Study location: Edinburgh
- Entry date: September
This Graduate Diploma in Information Technology prepares overseas graduates without an honours degree for admission to one of our MSc programmes in Computing or IT. English language can also be studied over the same period within the University's School of Management and Languages if required.
Successful completion of the Graduate Diploma with an overall average of at least 50% and an IELTS overall level of at least 6.0 can lead to progression to the MSc in the following year.
Further details are available here.
This programme starts in mid September. It lasts until June for those with adequate English for MSc admission (IELTS 6.0). For students with an IELTS level of 5.5 the programme continues until August.
All students take the following 5 mandatory courses:
- Project: Research Methods & Requirements Engineering
- Project: Design & Implementation
- Project: Testing & Presentation
- Software Engineering
- Professional Development
Students also take 3 computing course options from the following choices:
- Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Agents
- Database and Information Systems
- Software Engineering Foundations
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Operating Systems and Concurrency
- Sociotechnical and Soft Systems
- Software Engineering Master Class
IELTS 5.5 students also take the following 3 English courses
- Academic Writing 1 or Academic Reading 1 (semester 1)
- Academic Writing 2 & PG Research Skills (semester 2)
Further details are available here
Applicants require a good ordinary degree, or its overseas equivalent, with a substantial academic component of IT.
Suitable applicants may include Chinese graduates with a good 3-year diploma degree in IT, Indian students with a good 3-year Bachelors in computer applications and Pakistani students with an excellent 3-year BSc degree in IT.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 5.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme:
- 14 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with no more than one skill at 4.5);
- 10 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with minimum of 5.0 in all skills);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5 with minimum of 5.5 in reading & writing and minimum of 5.0 in speaking & listening)
|Scotland / Non-UK EU||£5100|
* If you are unsure which category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.
Scholarships & bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.