Information Technology (Graduate Diploma) Diploma
- Delivery: Full Time
- Programme type: Taught Programme
- Study location: Edinburgh
- Entry date: September
This programme prepares overseas graduates without an honours degree for admission to our MSc programmes in Computing or IT. They can also study English over the same period in the School of Management and Languages if that is needed.
Students with IELTS 5.5 study 3 courses in English in the School of Management and Languages while doing the programme.
Further details are available here.
This programme starts in mid September. It lasts until June for those with adequate English for MSc admissions (IELTS 6.0). For students with an IELTS level of 5.5, the programme continues until August.
All students take the following 5 mandatory courses:
- Project: Research Methods & Requirements Engineering
- Project: Design & Implementation
- Project: Testing & Presentation
- Software Engineering
- Professional Development
Students also take 3 computing course options from the following choices depending on their English level:
- Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Agents
- Database and Information Systems
- Software Engineering Foundations
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Operating Systems and Concurrency
- Sociotechnical and Soft Systems
- Software Engineering Master Class
IELTS 5.5 students also take the following 3 English courses
- Academic Writing 1 or Academic Reading 1 (semester 1)
- Academic Writing 2 & PG Research Skills (semester 2)
Further details are available here.
Applicants for this programme must have a good ordinary 3 year bachelor degree or 3 year diploma with a reasonable academic component of IT or Computer Science and an English level of at least IELTS 5.5 in reading, writing, speaking and listening. Suitable applicants include Chinese students who have a good 3 year diploma degree in IT, Indian students with a good bachelors in Computer Applications and Pakistani students with an excellent 3 year BSc degree in IT.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 5.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme:
- 14 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with no more than one skill at 4.5);
- 10 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with minimum of 5.0 in all skills);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5 with minimum of 5.5 in reading & writing and minimum of 5.0 in speaking & listening)
|Scotland / Non-UK EU|
* If you are unsure which category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.
Scholarships & bursaries
- Alumni Scholarship Scheme
- Carnegie-Cameron Taught Postgraduate Bursaries
Applicants must be Scottish by birth, have at least one parent born in Scotland or have been continuously resident in Scotland for a period of three years for the purpose of secondary or tertiary education.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
International (Commonwealth citizens)
- Department for International Development (DFID) Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme
- East Lothian Educational Trust
Applicants must be a resident of the old county of East Lothian (ie excluding Musselburgh, Wallyford and Whitecraig.)
- Funds For Women Graduates (FFWG) grants
Women studying or researching for a postgraduate or PhD
- GoEuro Scholarship Programme
Enrolled students in any academic year
- Google Europe Scholarship for Students with Disabilities(MACS)
- Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust
Restricted to residents of the UK who are a son, daughter, spouse, widow or widower of a commercial traveller, chemist or grocer.
- Local Education Authority Awards
- MACS Alumni Scholarship(MACS)
- MACS Head of School Scholarship(MACS)
- MACS Postgraduate Scholarships(MACS)
- Music Scholarships
- Part-time Fee Grant (SAAS)
See SAAS residence conditions.
- Postgraduate Student Allowance Scheme (SAAS)
EU and UK applicants who meet the SAAS criteria on eligible courses
- Rapid Formations Entrepreneur Scholarship Programme
All students except exchange program students
- Remission of Fees (families of staff)
Spouses/civil partners and children of members of staff, also retired members of staff of the University
- Royal Caledonian Schools Trust
Applicants must be of Scots parentage (conditions apply - see below)
- SFC Key Skills Funded Places (MACS)(MACS)
Applicants resident in Scotland who accept an offer for an eligible course
- Scotland's Saltire Scholarships
Citizens of Canada, the People's Republic of China, India or USA (2 awards for each country)
- Sports Scholarships
- Staff Scholarships
Employees of Heriot-Watt University
- The Consumer Affairs UK Scholarship Programme
All currently enrolled students
- The Muirhead Trust
Scottish, female applicants for science and engineering courses
- West Lothian Educational Trust
Individuals must have originated in West Lothian or have lived there for the last 3 years.